Thursday, 5 January 2012

If I do NOTHING else in 2012....

I will sort out my finances. I am 46 years of age and I cannot get to grips with my money. I earn a good wage, but have racked up various debts over the years.....including remorgaging twice....and borrowing 30k to pay off the fekkin ex-hub. I have 3k on a credit card and an old overdraft of 2k....I need to go self empolyed from April and this has, erm, concentrated my mind somewhat so I don't let this already leaky ship go down....

I've always managed to get work...despite no real qualifications, apart from good manners and an ability to get along with most people. I can type, use an apostrophe,spell and can add up in my head. The Nuns did a good job.

I think I'm afraid of money. Is that odd? I get a panic attack just thinking about my bank balance, even when I'm in the black. I like to spend money....not on big things, but on nice bits from John Lewis....and I've never spent any more that £500 on anything....even my wedding dress! I have never had an ISA and the only reason I have a pension is that they deducted it from source....

My sisters are the same as me. And we NEVER talk about it. I suppose they are as embarassed as me.

So. I'm determined that my daughter will be much more money savvy than me. She has a bank account and puts her spare cash in the account. She wants to get a job so she can SAVE for a car or stash some cash for uni.

Save? What's that!? When I was her age I was paid in cash on a Thursday, took out £20 and gave the rest to my mother. I smoked and drank the £20 over the weekend. Happy days!

I have decided to keep a spending diary. So far, since Monday I have spent £220. This does not include my standing orders/direct debits. Shit! £220!!!! And it's only Thursday.

It is painful for me to keep a list as I can see how much shite I buy. And how much I spend on the kids. And how fekkin grateful TESCO should be to women like me as we seem to spend almost all our income in your fekkin' extra/metro/express money pits.

The car is in for it's MOT so....three Hail Mary's and an Our Father it'll come through...and I can keep it on the road for another year....

So I'll keep up the spending list and keep the blog posted on how much I'm spending and hopefully....with some words of encouragment, I can get to grips with my pennies and pounds in 2012!!!

Happy New Year!!!!

1 comment:

auntiegwen said...

oh God Mae, you are so my long lost twin, if you sort out the money thing let me know how it's done xxx