Monday, 20 October 2008

I passed!!!!

I have passed my driving test. I have actually passed. I HAVE PASSED MY DRIVING TEST!!!!!!!!!!! I cannot tell you how happy I am. I squeaked with happiness and hugged the examiner with joy!

I never expected to be a 'proper driver' ever. I spent the last 15 years avoiding any conversations around motorway routes, cars, driving in general as I was so ashamed of not being a driver. I have had years of guilt about what my kids have missed out on, all the non visits to the parks, all the non trips to my family in the shires... never mind all the missed IKEA opportunities. However, it has become fashionable not to drive, being the green thing to do, so things did get slightly easier, as, thanks to the modern curriculum, my son regards driving and the car next to mortal sin and the devil ( Catholic education).

Oh the guilt!! How did I allow myself to get to 43 and NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE?? Can I really blame my lack of a licence on crap instructors, lack of funds, lack of confidence, a low tedium threshold and fear. Not really...just didn't get my arse in gear until now...

So this morning I was very nervous. Up at 7am for a lesson and then the test at 8.10. Several squirts of rescue remedy (would it send me over the limit ?) However, my lovely instructor told me not to worry," it was only (!) £60 and who cares what a wanker in a yellow jacket thinks"...!
" I DO" I wailed!

Well, the test itself went without a hitch. I did the one and only perfect parallel park I will ever do, and the 3 point turn in 5. Relief, engines off and well done.

Now, instead of spending all my time on property auction sites I am now trawling fish4cars, looking for my dream car for under £500...

11 comments:

Elaine said...

Congratulations! I'm so pleased for you.

I'm 40 and don't drive. I keep putting it off (after failing miserably about 15 years ago). Maybe one day...

BarbaraS said...

Way hay! Well done you, you clever, clever person you. I bet you are chuffed to bits! :) I learned to drive and passed my test in London, so if you can drive there, you can drive anywhere!

Moannie said...

Good for you. Many congratulations. Nothing compares, does it, to the elation when you can throw away those L plates...but do use the P plates for a while, just until you are fully confident...other drivers respect them and the fact that you are aware of being a newbie.
Well done!

Dee G said...

You go girl!

what happened ?how did i get HERE? said...

Thanks so much girls!! I feel on top of the world filled with endless possibilities...or trips to IKEA!!
Now starts the hunt for the perfect car for £500!mxx

Fire Byrd said...

Black boxed my way here. So I'll just add my congratulations and hope you enjoy your new found freedom that sitting in traffic jams will give you!!

BTW your word verification is CORTION hope that isn't a warning!

auntiegwen said...

Good girl yourself, I hope you find a wee car, so I do xx

david mcmahon said...

Well done. What a landmark to be very proud of. Good on you.

david mcmahon said...

Congratulations!

little red haired girl said...

Hello - I happened upon your posting whilst doing a search in my utter panic of taking my driving test next week.

I am 30something (past the middle bit, sigh) and first got a licence in another country in 1989 but after nearly a decade in the UK am finally getting (one hopes!) a licence here. I completely identify with everything you've said in your post. For me, it is also a personal (and monumental) challenge, rather than borne out of necessity.

Amusingly (that's one word for it), I'd honestly believed I would only need a lesson or two to learn the way of the road and unlearn all of my bad driving habits. Pah ha! Nearly 20 instructed-hours (and £600+ later), I'm still my own worst enemy in wanting 100 per cent driving-perfection and terrified about failing the test. Failing myself...

Everything I read out there about test-taking seems to be negative - so disconcerting - so your post has helped me to feel a wee more confident and encouraged. Please cross all you’ve got!

ps – I heard about Rescue Remedy a couple of weeks ago; have tried it with the lessons (along with ‘calming tea’ before hand) and I fear it doesn’t work. I shall keep trying and live in hope!

Apologies this is so long [note word panic above, which also invokes speed-type!]

little red haired girl said...

I wanted to comment back to you on the comment you left on mine (after I left one on yours here!), but didn't want to do so for all the world to see...suffice to say, things did not go well with the test this morning :(

I shall hope for - well, hope - for next time.

Sigh