Tuesday, 30 September 2008

How very odd...

Had a very odd encounter this evening. I was preparing supper, credit crunch sausage and mash, when there was an almight banging on the front door. Now where we live in the 'burbs of west london, almost no-one calls without telephoning first..so I knew that it was either the emergency services, police raid on the shifty lad next door or some other n'er do well. Upon opening the door, with the kids tucked behind me, I was confronted by a young Gomez Addams. 'Sorry missus' he lisped (yes he actually had a lisp). 'Me 'n me mum need to get to Chertsey Ospital as me girlfriend, who lives at number 37 (vaguely waving in the wrong direction) was taken in quick an we 'ave no money to get there'. 'Excuse me?' I said, to which he repeated his need for funds to get to to the aformentioned hospital. 'Just three quid each for me 'n me mum for a bus pass, as it's better value (!)'. ' I've asked him next door, as he knows me, and he's got no change'. At this point I had come out onto the front step and he started to back away. I must've adopted my 'don't mess with me, I've heard it all before you scamming bastard' face that got me through several years in the Personal Issue Giro section of several inner London benefit offices. I said 'I don't believe you? Where is your mother?' He then ran off. Bizarre. I contemplated phoning the Safer Neighbourhood Team, but what could I say? That I was almost scammed by a young Gomez Addams? That I refused help to a thrifty lad who needed to see his girlfriend? That I imagined it due to sausage 'n mash overload? Hey ho. And the kids didn't bat an eyelid between them. London life eh.

4 comments:

Moannie said...

You are a scream! And hey! I'm first, just love that.

When I go up to London to stay with No.2 Daughter in Willsden Green, I always feel like a pronvincial yokel and behave like one. I gawk and stare, smile at strangers instead of keeping my eyes out of contact, wander aimlessly instead of keeping to my side of the pavement. I dawdle, instead of walking purposefully and generally make my girl shake her head in frustration. If that had happened to me down here in my crner of Kent I would have been frightened, but paradoxically in London I would probably have asked him in, given him some sausage and mash [yum] and sent him on his way with a tenner. You see, to me, London is another planet, like Paris or New York...exciting, romantic; filmic, where anything can happen, and if I'm not more careful...something will.

BarbaraS said...

You couldn't make it up, you really couldn't! Life, Jim, but not as we know it...

what happened ?how did i get HERE? said...

Thanks ladies...had an even more bizarre day yesterday involving an ASBO and botox...but that's a whole other posting...!

Millennium Housewife said...

Oh I miss London, the potential scam round every corner made life interesting. Here in the country we simply try to avoid cow pats. MH