Monday, 7 July 2008

In addition to working full time, learning to drive, mothering 2 children and running admin side of my lovely boyfriend's small business...I am the chair of the PTA. A major impediment to my plans to have more fun! How the hell I ever got involved in the PTA I will never know. Another of my 'low beam' moments....thwack, see stars and ooops....I've volunteered for yet another thankless task...! I am currently having sleepless nights about the upcoming summer (!) fete. It being a church school, the fete is the jewell in the crown of the school year - and it's biggest moneyspinner. I cannot express how much I hate the rest of the committee! Two women in particular bring me out in spots....how I didn't smack one when she complained that there were "too many words" in the mufti day letter...grrr! Another one, taller, fatter, stupider, complained when her chubby child didn't get a second creme egg even though she had submitted 2 entries for the easter egg colouring competition...God spare me!
I feel completely TRAPPED!! I'm now spending more time doing the bloody PTA work than my own job...and for what?! A set of sponge goal post guards (!). I'D HAVE BOUGHT THEM MYSELF IF I'D KNOWN THE AGONY THAT IS THE PTA!
And I won't start on the caretaker...he hates the committee more than I do...although the 6 tins of stella we gave him at Xmas helped smooth relations a bit.....

2 comments:

Frog in the Field said...

Haha!!
What a bloody excellent Blog!
I used to be chair of the PTFA, I fell out with the head within 48 hours, upset the governors and kitchen staff...and all I did was put forward a question on behalf of another parent.
It was a nightmare. I'm sure, as you pointed out, it would have been bloody cheaper to just pay for things myself rather than heckle the committee who seemed to be after my blood. Good luck with it!

what happened ?how did i get HERE? said...

THANKS! Have people doing complete bodyswerves to avoid me in the playground - they can sniff out a desperate woman at 50 paces....currently sorting out the finer points of the 'smash a place stall'...when I should be prepping for a v important meeting about youth crime with a chief inspector!! Yikes, there has to be more to life that this! Maybe I could get the youth to volunteer to run some stalls as part of their reparations ! My god! I've done it - the answer to youth crime prevention!! Just off to e mail Boris...